The Whyte Avenue Art Walk Festival is a fun event. You will meet artists, interact with the public, and enjoy Old Strathcona at the height of summer. Join 450+ artists and 40,000+ visitors. All the best events are back! Don’t miss Sand on Whyte (sand carving) and On the Spot Maker’s Pop Up. There are also several murals being planned. Ten blocks of art-making – it’s the biggest event of its kind in Canada! We also have opportunties for Volunteering as Corporate Sponsor. Click here for more information.
With this much excitement, our festival needs dedicated, energetic volunteers who will contribute a minimum of TWO 4-hour shifts. YOU are a key element in creating a positive artist/visitor experience. The Art Walk is an outdoor exhibition spanning over 4 km along Whyte Avenue and surrounding area. Volunteers must be able to walk the assigned routes. Dress for the weather and wear comfortable footwear.
Our orientation meeting is a blast. Mark your calendars and plan to attend Date TBD. Not only do you get to pick your jobs but it is also a painting party. As a volunteer, you will also receive complimentary beverage breaks and discounts at several Old Strathcona businesses. Our Art Walk volunteer aprons and tote bags are coveted souvenirs. Volunteers who keep all their shift commitments will receive a valuable letter of reference and an invitation to the wrap up party.
A smile and a cheery disposition go a long way to setting the spirit of the day…bring yours and share!
Got Questions? Please Email our Volunteer Coordinator
Volunteers are asked to sign up for at least TWO shifts: Please indicate your availability when you email us.
- Friday 9am – 1 pm
- Friday 1 pm – 5 pm
- Saturday 9am – 1 pm
- Saturday 1pm – 5 pm
- Sunday 9am – 1 pm
- Sunday 1pm – 5 pm
Yes! We welcome ‘Street Teams’ from other artist-run centres and community leagues to volunteer with us and while raising awareness for their clubs and causes. Here are just a few of the positions we are seeking.
May and June:
- Business Networking distribute information to merchants and identify partnerships
- Poster & Postcard Distribution Putting up posters throughout Edmonton and area Distributing Postcards
- Old Strathcona Farmers Market Working a table for the Old Strathcona Foundation to promote our event
These are the jobs during the weekend of the July 10-12, 2020
- Roadies Help manage the street closures including directing the set up of tents and more daily.
- Signage Runners Help install and remove of the plastic event signage daily.
- Promenade Assistants Greet & direct patrons and the public. Ensure all artists have booklets. Relieve artists for short breaks (5-10 minutes). Keep all Art Walk park sites tidy.
- Special Event Captains Help manage public programming which may include art-making in the park and the Street Art Showcase.
- Block Captains are contacts for security, emergency and bylaw during the event.